Window and Door Terms Glossary

Argon Gas
Argon is a safe, odourless, colourless, non-toxic, non-flammable inert gas that is commonly used in place of air between the glass panes of an insulated Low-E glass unit to reduce temperature and sound transfer.

Bay Window
A composite of three windows, usually made up of a large centre fixed unit and two flanking units at 30, 45 or 90 degree angles to the wall.

See Glazing Beads.

Bi-Fold Door

A door constructed of typically three or four panels that fold together when open, allowing a maximum opening.

window components trimmed

Bow Window
Window consisting of three or more units projecting out from wall to form a radius.

See Sill.

Any material locked to the outside faces of doors and windows to provide a durable, low-maintenance exterior surface.

Clerestory Window
A sash or fixed window, above other windows or doors, on an upper outside wall of a house.

Water that collects as droplets on the glass/sash/panel interior or exterior under certain conditions (typically cold surfaces when exposed to humidity).

Dormer Window
A space which protrudes from the roof of a house, usually including one or more windows.

Double or Dual Glazing
Use of two panes of glass in a window, to increase energy efficiency and provide other performance benefits.

Drainage Cap
A moulding placed on the outside of the window frame to cover the water drainage holes.

EECA is the Crown agency that encourages, supports and promotes energy efficiency, energy conservation, and the use of renewable energy in New Zealand.

Electric Opener
A motorised device for remotely opening and closing a window sash.

A form produced by forcing material through a die. Most window frames are constructed from extruded vinyl or aluminium.

Fixed Window

Non-venting or non-operable window. Also known as a picture window.

A thin strip of metal or synthetic material that diverts water away from a window or skylight.

The enclosure in which window sash or door panels are mounted.

French Door
Hinged door(s) which have wider panel members around the glass.

Specialised extruded rubber that runs the circumference of a sash and frame to provide tight thermal, acoustic and air pressure sealing.

Glass in a window or door; the act or process of fitting with glass.

PVC window elements

Glazing Bead
A strip applied to the window sash around the perimeter of the glass.

Opening mechanisms including hinges, handles, gearboxes and security components.

The main horizontal member forming the top of the window or door frame.

Homestar Rating System
An independent rating tool that certifies the health, efficiency and sustainability of New Zealand homes.

Insect Screen
A tightly woven mesh attached to a frame, which allows outside air ventilation whilst keeping insects out.

Insulating Glass Unit (IGU) 
A combination of two or more panes of glass with a hermetically sealed air space between the panes of glass. This space may or may not be filled with an inert gas, such as argon.

The main vertical members forming the sides of a window or door frame.

Laminated Glass
There are various options and benefits: (1) breakage resistant and holds together when broken; (2) increased mass for specific noise insulation situations; (3) softer noise absorbment laminate material or specific noise insulation situations; and (4) for decorative reasons.

A term used to describe the laminated foils that provide approximately 40 colour and texture options for NK Windows door and window frames. Laminates are applied by Aluplast in Germany and are available single or dual sided.

Low-E Glass
A common term used to refer to glass which has low emissivity due to a film or metallic coating on the glass or suspended between the two lights of glass to restrict the passage of radiant heat.

A vertical element that forms a division between units of a window or door.

Applies to any short or light bar, either vertical or horizontal, used to separate glass in a sash into multiple lights. Also called a window pane divider or a grille.

Obscure Glass
Glass with a texture or pattern with various degrees of opacity that limits visibility through a window or door. Commonly used in wet rooms and main entrance doors.

Palladian Window
A large, arch-top window flanked by smaller windows on each side.

A framed sheet of glass within a window.

Usually refers to the separate panel or panels in a door frame.

Passive House
The term passive house (Passivhaus in German) refers to a rigorous, voluntary standard for energy efficiency in a building, reducing its ecological footprint.

Resistance to thermal transfer or heat flow. Higher R-value numbers indicate greater insulating value.

The part of the jamb between the window or door frame and the main building framing. Usually constructed of timber.  

A single assembly of stiles and rails made into a frame for holding glass. The moveable part of the window.

See Gaskets.

Tall, narrow unit placed alongside a window or door.

The main horizontal member forming the bottom of the frame of a window or door.

Sliding Door
A door with two or more panels where one panel slides horizontally past another.

See Warm Edge Spacers.

Tilt and Turn Opening
A term used to refer to a window or door unit that can (1) tilt inwards, hinged at the bottom and (2) open inwards, hinged at the side.

Toughened Glass
Glass manufactured to withstand greater than normal forces on its surface. When it breaks, it shatters into small pieces to reduce hazard. Standard on all doors and large fixed windows.

A horizontal structural beam or bar, or a crosspiece separating a door from a window above.

Rate of heat flow-value through the complete heat barrier, from room air to outside air. The lower the U-value, the better the insulating value.

Ultra Violet Light (UV)
Short wave length light present in the solar spectrum. The high radiation energy of UV light is the primary cause of fading.

Unplasticised Polyvinyl chloride is a rigid thermoplastic which has replaced many non-plastic materials in the construction industry, for example window frames, pipes and floor coverings.

Warm Edge Spacers
A thermal resistant material that divides panes of glass within a glazing unit. Traditionally aluminium was used, but has been replaced with specialist materials in recent years. NK Windows uses Thermix® spaces as standard on all windows and doors.

© Copyright NK Windows 2024   |  
Website by Plato Creative